On this day seven years ago …
and the creators of Google Android (Andy Rubin, Rich Miner and Chris White) announced the official launch of a new Operating System : Android 1.0 Apple Pie. A month later we could see the first mobile device with Android : the HTC Dream. This terminal with a touch screen 320 x 480 pixels and 256 MB of memory with physical keyboard would be the most used OS start today .
iOS Their competitiveness has always characterized even been accused of copying each other is called “patent war”. In fact, today are virtually the two most famous alternatives when choosing a mobile. How has Android get to that point?
The purchase of Google and its versions
Android born in October 2003 in Palo Alto, California. Back then Symbian, iOS and Windows Mobile were the three most used OS for phones.
It was in 2005 when the “giant” Google (which had great need to buy a SO to address the rise of iOS) Android bought for just 50 million euros. Thanks to the resources of Google, Android was able to get ahead and took more versions. All these versions are called “sweet”:
- Apple Pie 1.0 : The Android more “primitive” but integrated web browser, Google Maps and Bluetooth.
- Banana Bread 1.1 : Slightly developed. Allowed attachments in messages or reviews when looking for business in Maps.
- 1.5 Cupcake featured as the virtual keyboard (until now were only physical keyboards) Progress, appearance of Widgets , the auto-rotate and power record and play videos.
- 1.6 Donut : The highlight was the ability to integrate speech synthesis that allowed Android “speak” in addition to understand your voice.
- 2.0 Eclair : Ability to use flash in your pictures or animated wallpapers to set
- 2.2 Froyo : Integrating voice dictation and the ability to move applications to an external card (MicroSD)
- 2.3 Gingerbread : From the bestselling updates. Widely used in his day. Geared for video games among other features: possibility of pressing, keep the screen well as copy and paste. Support for two cameras. Emergence of the front camera in addition to the rear
- 3.0 Honeycomb : No stressed a lot. Integrated for Android Tablets first . Improved interface.
- 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich : For the first time shown buttons “ Software ” , ie, are not physical. Ability to take screenshots. 1080 recording.
- 4.1 Jelly Bean : Also part of the versions most used until recently. Notable for the increased speed, the Google Now integration of , and some improvements in security.
- 4.4 Kit Kat currently most widely used version . Transparent notification bar and navigation widget music lock screen, new transitions and appearance of the dive mode
- 5.0 Lollipop : If Kit Kat improved the presentation, Lollipop was re-designed in brutal fashion. Increase in: the Material Design lock screen notifications, notification bar is displayed fails completely, without delays and natural animations, customizable notifications priority modes … Changes highlighted in the battery is inserted duration and integration “battery saving” mode. Also improved for smart watches and bracelets.
- Marshmallow 6.0 : You have not yet hit the market. Single phase preview . It will be possible to read the fingerprint.
: The interface is polished.
Since its first launch seven years ago today, Android took 3 years to become the most widely used OS for mobile devices. In 2010 surpassed the iPhone in sales , and in 2013 for every 100 mobiles sold 90’2 worked with Android.
This is basically because approximately 90% of the Android code under this license “ Apache “, that is, free and open to everyone. Thus, Android ensures updating by third parties and its continued growth besides being cheaper; unlike as iOS.
summary: Android emerged as the alternative simple, effective, free and with options to develop, features that were not part of the other operating systems of the time , and caused to grow exponentially until its seventh anniversary. Who knows what Android store for us in the future …
And you? Are you on your Android device?
And you do you think? Head over seventh anniversary of Android. We analyze your history so far to make your mark
You can join us on Twitter, Facebook or Google+
recently published website
- Seventh anniversary Android analyze your story so far
- The new Google Nexus 5X and 6P pose for the camera, including their original boxes
- Update on the new P9000 family of Elephone
- Wallet BBVA, a good alternative to Android Pay
- Cyanogen Android adopts new terminals his family offering official support
- Meizu Pro 5, the new Chinese terminal top of the range with the best of each house
- Nexus 6P, we have the first filtered image in great detail
- Even Apple surrender to the evidence, nobody likes small